Inspired by an article from Mat Newman, I have created a small enhancement for the users mail database. It consists of two Notes design elements (one view and one Java agent) which publishes the user calendar entries (appointments, anniversaries, all day events, meetings and reminders) in the iCalendar format (RFC 5545). This allows the user to show the IBM Notes calendar on any platform which supports the iCalendar format (iOS, OS X, Outlook, etc.)
- Open Source / “This software shall be used for Good, not Evil.”
- IBM Domino server with active HTTP task
- Import and sign the DXL files (Domino design elements) into the user mail database or the mail template. This import can be done either with the Ytria scanEZ tool or thru an agent (Example “The missing DXL Import option“).
- Create a website rule on your IBM Domino server to force HTTP basic authentication for the iCalendar feed.
- Restart or refresh (“Tell HTTP Refresh”) the HTTP task to activate the website rule,
How to use
- Enter the URL “https://your.server.com/mail/xxxxxxxx.nsf/ICSCalendar.ics” on the platform which should receive the calendar entries. You will then be prompted for your userid and HTTP password.
- The published calandar entries are read-only and can therefore not be altered by the client platform.
- You may change the static string at the start of the Java agent code to reflect your company name. This name only shows up in the header of the iCalendar feed.
- You may also be interested in the companion product to publish the IBM Domino contact birthdays.
- Please send all questions, bugs, feedback or enhancement requests to email@example.com. Thank you.
V1.04 / 19-Jun-2015
- Remove unnecessary code from Notes view ICSCalendar.
V1.03 / 08-Jun-2015
- Change: Support for more calendar clients.
- Change: Support for inline CRLF (e.g. multiline SUMMARY’s)
V1.02 / 07-Jun-2015
- Change: Handle special escape characters according to RFC 5545. Thanks to Andrew Magerman for his code example.
V1.01 / 03-Jun-2015
- Change: View selection to include only document types “Appointment” (no ToDo documents)
- Change: Fix CRLF in document fields
- Change: Handle long fields by special RFC 5545 line splitting
V1.00 / 02-Jun-2015
- Initial program version